Managing Emotional Situations in Sales and Negotiation
In this course, students will investigate the importance of emotional response for conversation and negotiation processes, learning methods that will allow them to manage their conversational partners emotions as well as techniques to respond with appropriate emotion in stressful situations to greatly improve their informational power in negotiation and sales situations.
The Role of Emotions in Conversation/Negotiation
"I always thought [emotion] was a weakness but now I've learned it can also be a weapon." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
Whether we're emotionally fluent or prefer to keep a check on ourselves, we cannot deny the role that emotions play in our daily lives. Conversations and negotiations are no different. In this module, we'll introduce the means of managing our emotions and words and techniques to work with our conversational partner, using emotion to more effectively reach a win-win outcome.
Students will discover:
- How to make interactions more fulfilling and how emotional awareness helps to achieve goals
- Appropriate strategies to appropriately conceal, control, reveal and disclose emotional response
- What to say and how to handle when someone else loses their cool
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." - Ambrose Bierce
Listening is polite. Listening is smart. Most of all, though, learning when to listen is power. The art of listening is crucial to gaining greater informational power in a negotiation. People will often tell you what you want to know, if only you pay close attention and learn how to read between the lines.
Students will learn:
- How to improve attention, recall, and understanding
- How to identify flaws they may not even know they have
- How to gain power by sitting down and shutting up
Visual Emotional Cues
"Your face [...] is a book where men may read strange matters." - William Shakespeare
You may think you've got a decent vocabulary and a grasp on how to hear what someone is saying, but without the ability to marry what your ears and your eyes are telling you, you're missing half of every conversation. Here, we introduce concepts of body language and the constantly "leaking" microexpressions that give us an insight into our partner's emotions, often before they even realise it themselves.
Students will find out:
- How to improve their vocabulary of visual "tells" in various cultures
- How simply by altering their stance, the same message can be complete altered
- How to read a face and respond to accomplish goals